Thursday, November 13, 2008

If I'm ignoring you, this is probably why

1. You've committed one of the well-known logical fallacies. There are lots of fallacies and I don't know them all, but I know most of these, and so should you.

1a. Particularly, you have Assumed Facts Not in Evidence (a.k.a. "Loaded Question".)

1b. Particularly, you have a False Premise.

1c. You have committed the detestable Burden of Proof fallacy.

1d. You have committed the unfathomably common Accident fallacy.

2. You've made a statement which is in error, and it would be easy for you to find out it was in error if you did some basic research. Google or Yahoo is a good place to start. I'm not your research assistant.

3. You've posted in an overly dismissive/confrontational manner, and I just don't feel like encouraging your attitude.

4. You're wrong, but it would take too long to explain why.

4a. You're wrong, but I just don't feel like talking to you.

4b. Less commonly, you aren't wrong, but I dislike you so much that I can't bring myself to agree with you.

5. Your post doesn't actually contribute to the discussion, or no debateable point can be deduced from it. Alternately, your posts are just incoherent.

7. Your post has three or more of the above problems.

No comments: